Not much has been known about the McCue Family Estate in Monongahela, Pennsylvania ... until recently. What has been discovered may shock
many who live in or near the area in the small community of Carroll Township. The McCue Mansion has a history that is layered in horrors and lost
souls, and until now, kept secret by the mansion itself. Recently, while planning for the annual Haunted House Experience, the new owners of the
house learned that the land that the mansion now sits upon was once used as a burial ground for a civilization that once populated the land of
Monongahela, Pennsylvania.Little recorded history remains before this rare photograph that was found in the basement of the McCue Mansion. We
have been able to trace some of the earlier history, and also have found clues and experiences to current history. Sometime in the late 1860's, a
young woman, believed to be a widow, with the name Carla arrived to the area by train. Carla had an appreciation for the finer things in life. In 1871,
she commissioned the building of a large estate on land that was transferred to her by her Uncle who lived in Scotland.The record books for the time
are somewhat unclear, it is clear that she held title to a plot of land, which today is located adjacent to Route 88. During the excavation for the
original mansion, workmen discovered bones from a human hand. After further digging, they unearthed well over 70 unmarked graves, and may have
unleashed the evil on the land that was found to be Demon House.Since this region of Monongahela was not well organized at the time, the remains
of these lost souls were left unknown. Rumors around railroad camps of the areas tell stories that the mansion was once an ancient burial ground for
local Indians. Another tells of the story of how the Spanish had a torturous prison at this location, and these were the reminders of this era.News of
this discovery didn't appear to bother Carla, nor the local authorities. In fact, legend of the time had her asking to keep some of the remains of some
sort.Carla was a women that was known at the time as a healer, many say an evil witch. People would come from as far as Scotland to visit with Carla
to seek healing for their ails and demon possessed souls.From 1872-1888, word of these great deeds traveled the land.Around 1889, word of her
help seemed to diminish as people stopped returning to their homes.In 1891, a child was born at the McCue Estate, and he was named Liam Gavin.
From 1889 until 1894, people continued to arrive at the Estate. On October 13, 1894, a man by the name of Pat Caldwell arrived with his ailing
daughter, only to find the Estate desolate. Caldwell contacted the local Sheriff, who came to the Estate. When they began to look through the home,
what they found in the basement was horrifying when the Sheriff arrived to the McCue Estate, he immediately began an investigation. As good an
investigation that could be completed for 1894. David H. Dennis was the deputy Sheriff that wrote this report of the house. After talking more with the
others in the town, it was decided to go back to the mansion and go into the house to see what was actually happening. A search party was formed
and plans were made to go to the McCue mansion. About the time this was going to happen a letter arrived addressed simply to D.H.D. This note
expressed the need for help, and that the person whose initials were E.V.L., did not want to die like the others. That same evening the Sheriff's
posse went to the estate. The wives of the men recount the story. This account was written by Joan, the neice of deputy David H. Dennis. She
witnessed this from the gates to the estate. The men never came out of the house. On November 2, 1894, no person was ever seen at the house
again. It remained empty until 2004.
Prospect Place was built between 1856 - 1857 by George Willison Adams. The mansion is 9500 square feet and
consists of 27 rooms. Today it is being restored by George Willison Adams' great-great grandson, George J. Adams.
Prospect Place is listed on both the United States Park Service National Register of Historic Places and the Ohio
Underground Railroad Association's list. For a more detailed history, I recommend visiting the Official Prospect Place
website. This site is awesome, it contains lots of great information about the mansion and the Adams family. Prospect
Place is supposedly one of the most haunted places in Ohio. One of the ghosts that is often seen is that of a young
lady who died in the late 1800's. She was very sick with a terrible fever. One night she wandered down the hall by
herself during a party. She wandered outside on the second floor balcony where she fell over the rail and onto the
stone steps below. Since this happened in the winter the ground was frozen, and therefore they had to wait until the
ground thawed before she could be buried. They supposedly kept her body in the basement, packed in snow to
keep it from decomposing. Today she is seen near the balcony door and in the basement. The most haunted areas of
Prospect Place are the basement, the ballroom, and the barn. The basement is haunted by both the girl who fell off
the balcony and some of the slaves who stayed in the basement on their way to freedom. I'm honestly not sure why
the ballroom is haunted, but many ghost hunters have experienced quite a few strange things there. The barn is
haunted by seven people who were hanged there. Another interesting thing about the mansion is one of the rooms
in the servant's quarters. One of the large rooms is painted haint blue...this is the original paint that was on the
walls. According to Appalachian Tradition, painting a door haint blue is supposed to keep evil spirits from entering.
This entire room is painted this color! It really does make you wonder what the servants were so scared off!
At the time of the Revolutionary War there was probably a small village on the present site of Mount Pleasant. Court records indicate a house was
erected there by Michael Smith and he was licensed to keep a public inn in 1793.
Andrew McCready laid out the town on land he purchased from Nathaniel Marshall on August 28, 1797. In 1876 N.B. Critchfield attempted to gather a
comprehensive history of the town. Most of what he found out was based on the recollections of older inhabitants, and only back to about 1810. At
that time there were about 34 log houses in the village. The first brick house in Mount Pleasant was built in 1812 and in later years was occupied as a
store-room, known as Isaac Stauffer's.
The names of some of the oldest citizen's that he recalled were; Michael Smith, Alexander McCready, Charles Fulwood, Esq., William Hunter, Conrad
Keister, William Cherry, Clement Burleigh, Esq., William Anderson, James Lippincott, Rev. James Estep, John Connell, William Flynn, and David Hunter.
The town was on one of the main thoroughfares between the East and the West; the old road was known as the Glade and was built by the state. It
was the main highway from Somerset to West Newton and then to Pittsburgh. The road was improved regularly and in time was transformed into the
turnpike. The Somerset and Mount Pleasant Turnpike Company was formed with the Honorable John Lobingier as president. The town depended on
this road for commercial communication with other parts of the country until the railroads took its place.
Mount Pleasant was incorporated on February 7, 1828. The first election was held in the house of Robert Hitchman. That first election took place in
May 1828 when Abraham Shallenberger was elected Chief Burgess, and Jesse Lippincott, Assistant Burgess. Councilmen elected were; Jacob
Rubert, Rev. Samuel Wakefield, Robert Hitchman, Jacob Kern, and John Hosler. David Fullwood was elected Secretary and John Hitchman, Treasurer.
An act of Assembly passed in 1845 allowed incorporated parts of the borough of Mount Pleasant to choose their own overseers of the poor, and
support their own poor apart from the townships of Mount Pleasant and East Huntingdon. Samuel Shupe and Abraham Shallenberger were overseers
until the spring election of 1846.
There is no definite origin of the name Mount Pleasant except that it was called that because of its pleasant and commanding location. However, as
early as 1774 the Redstone Presbytery organized the Mount Pleasant Church which was located about 2 miles from the present town. It is probable
that the town took it's name from this historic old church.
Nemacolin Castle is located off the National Road, US 40, in Brownsville, Pennsylvania.
Nemacolin Castle is named after Nemacolin, a Native American who helped the white settlers move west along what is today the National Road.
Nemacolin Castle was built by the Bowman family. It started out as a small building that was used as a trading post along the Monongahela
River in 1789. Nelson Bowman, who was a member of the 2nd generation of the Bowman family to live in the house, built onto the original
building to create the structure as it is today. The house is rumored to have been a stop on the Underground Railroad. There are many secret
hiding spaces in the house, however, there is no documentation to prove that it actually was a part of the Underground Railroad.
Nemacolin Castle is supposedly very haunted. There are at least ten ghosts that have been seen during tours. All of the ghosts are friendly.
Sometimes they show themselves, other times people just feel cold spots, hear unexplainable sounds, see movement out of the corner of
their eyes, or catch orbs on film. Two of the ghosts that are often seen are Elizabeth, a "prim and proper" lady, and Mary, a seven year old girl
with dark, curly hair.
First Floor- A waitress and a dishwasher both saw the image of a little girl standing near the cash register area by the front window. When
confronted, the spirited child moved into the center hall. The waitress gave chase while the dishwasher ran the opposite direction through the
kitchen to the other end of the hall. A local milkman was killed one morning on his usual route as he attempted to step inside the restaurant. The
brakes failed on a truck further up Main Street, sending the vehicle crashing into the R&R. Witnesses report seeing a ghostly image stepping
inside the restaurant and sitting at the first booth. Something odd caught Sherry Wingrove's attention late one night as she cleaned the restaurant.
Looking over a railing into a staircase leading to the lower level bar, she noticed a young boy. After a brief second look at the apparition, she fled
the room. Guests often report the sounds of children playing in the halls.Second Floor- The Victorian Lady appears to be all dressed up and ready
to go out on the town - but apparently she never leaves the building. Guests have reported the elegant woman moving up and down the hall. She
even knocks on doors when she's in a playful mood. Some think that she may have been stood up by a potential suitor. More than one former hotel
owner just won't go away. This early 20th century man made his fortune during the time he owned the R&R and some say you can still see and hear
him checking on his property, or perhaps checking up on the current owners. He frequents Room # 8. Another former owner coincidentally seems
to occupy the same room - # 8. Legend tells us that he grew old in the hotel and passed away in bed. The same character, as a younger man, also
haunts other areas of the hotel as he locks a teenage daughter in a top floor room instead of institutionalizing her. Female guests occupying Room
# 7 frequently report being touched by an unseen man - one the hotel has appropriately nicnamed, the Groper. If you're in bed with your spouse,
you may feel light touches. But this ghost gets a little more aggressive if you're alone - so make sure those bed sheets are pulled tight for the
night. The Top Hat Man and his friend, Sarah, occupy Room # 2. The Top Hat Man can also be seen in the halls and coming down the stairs.
Apparently Sarah comes to visit him in his room. Room visitors report the feeling of someone staring at them; well, maybe two entities staring.Third
Floor- A psychic told the owners that a mob boss was murdered in Room 16 by the bathroom door. This is the room where the mob boss apparently
met up with a guy now known as the Snitch - who set the murder in motion it is believed during a meeting with two hit men in the hotel bar. Room
17 is where it is believed that one of the hotel owners locked up his teenage daughter. Instead of institutionalizing the young woman, it is believed
he kept her in this room. Many reports of banging and knocking are reported from Room 17. Guests staying in Room 15, also known as the Portal
Room, report some very odd things going on. Hotel owner Sherry Wingrove says a psychic told her there is a portal area in the bathroom which
allows ghosts to come and go. Open the old trunk, also in the bathroom, and it's always cold. At least two children can be heard playing loudly in the
third floor hallway - running up and down and sometimes bouncing a ball. Some report hearing the sounds from the lobby area near the stairs.
When hotel owner Sherry Wingrove checks out the disturbance, no one is ever around. Lower Level- The Lower Level at the R&R can be accessed
in three ways. The locals step inside from the rear door at the parking lot and into the bar. There are also two interior staircases from the first
level.Hotel Owner Sherry Wingrove has accumulated many tales from the bar area and the storage room from both patrons and
employees.Sightings and strange sounds and footsteps are heard frequently in this area.
|© copyright 2007-2010 Peace of mind paranormal society
EASTERN STATE PENITENTIARY
A BRIEF HISTORY
In the 1770s, an, Englishman, John Howard became aware of and was scandalized by the abusive and degrading conditions in his country's
jails and prisons. Between 1773 and 1790, he visited various penal institutions in England and Europe and wrote careful accounts of their
construction and administration that were widely read and influential. He called for, among other things, the separation of all inmates at night;
and, during the day, the separation of men from women and serious felons from petty criminals; the introduction of sick wards and
infirmaries; the prohibition of alcohol; and the institution of rules governing cleanliness and conduct. His work was a direct influence on the
Philadelphia Society for Alleviating the Miseries of Public Prisons which was formed in 1787. The Society petitioned the legislature for
changes in laws and changes in treatment of offenders that eventually led to the first penitentiary at Walnut Street Jail, Philadelphia. The ideas
inspiring humanitarian reforms were in accord with Quaker theology, which held that "the light of God" resided within everyone. Many
Quakers were influential in the reform movement; almost half of the Society members were Friends. 2
Eastern State Penitentiary embodied Quaker ideas about the nature of man and the redemptive powers of solitary reflection and penitence.
Members of non-conformist sects had long opposed capital punishment and had, since the colonial era, championed imprisonment as an
alternative. In 1821, after many years of lobbying from the Philadelphia Society for Alleviating the Miseries of Public Prisons, founded by Dr.
Benjamin Rush, the Pennsylvania Legislature approved funding to build Eastern State Penitentiary. The new prison was approved to confine
two-hundred fifty inmates and with a cost $780,000. 3
The philosophy guiding the intent of Eastern State Penitentiary presented many challenges for the architects. Unlike earlier, unsuccessful
attempts at maintaining solitary confinement, the building design would have to prevent communication between inmates in order to prevent
the transmission of moral contagion. Unlike Auburn, the cells would have to accommodate both the prisoner and provisions for his or her
work equipment. Since the prisoners were to remain in their cells for the whole of their terms, each cell had to be equipped with water,
rudimentary plumbing, and heat. Prevailing theory held that prisons needed adequate ventilation to prevent "gaol fever," which had plagued
earlier institutions. And the planners wanted an imposing building that would inspire fear and respect among the citizenry. Upon completion,
Eastern State Penitentiary was the largest building in America and possibly the most expensive